Saturday, March 22, 2008

SB 08: The blonde Muslims do Italy

Well, I've just returned to Paris from one of the best weeks ever! For those of you that don't know, my Spring Break was spent with Holly gallivanting about Italy for a week. Quick recaps:

Venice: A uniquely, cool city with very big pizza and WAY to many pigeons. Yuck! I'd been to Venice before so I'd seen most of it before. I'm in no rush to go back. Definitely a must see though.

Florence: What's not to love? All the art, statues and little side streets to explore kept our two days there very busy! We happened upon this great little local bad and, thanks to Holly's schmoozing charm and many glasses of wine, we scored a free CD and chatted with the band.

Cinque Terre: AMAZING! CT is a smaller, five city region on the western coast of Italy. We had tons of hiking, ocean views and relaxing on the Italian Rivera. We had great weather and met some kids from Canada, Norway & some not-so-fun girls from Michigan. I'd really recommend Cinque Terre.

Rome: Despite poor weather and AWFUL public transportation...we had a great time on our last stop in Italy. Rome is really a summer town though. It would be much better to see and walk around in when you are able to enjoy the weather. Paris is way better then Rome though. It was really cool to be in Rome during Holy Week though. No better place to be and the Sistine Chapel will never fail to amaze.

Also, I met at least 7 people from Wisconsin in Italy. Outside of a gelatto shop in Florence I met a guy who graduated from Marquette in '77. It's a small world...

This Easter I'm back in Paris and spending the week with my mom, dad, sister & grandma. We're going to Mass in the morning at Notre Dame and at 6:45 a.m. on Monday depart for a 14-hour personal tour of the Normandy Beaches! I'm reallllly excited for this because I didn't get to see them last time I was in France. Also, my dad is a huge WWII buff so I'm excited to see all of that with him. My dad and my sister have never been to France so I'll be showing off the city this week. They leave Friday afternoon and then it will be APRIL! I don't know where my time here went.

Right now, I'm writing from an amazing 5 star hotel in Paris! Sure beats my tiny apartment with three roommates. Ah, the joys of visitors!

I'll post Spring Break photos soon but until then, Happy Easter!

Bises!

No comments: